Sloppy Joes are a family favorite, and crockpot recipes are a mom favorite. This crockpot Sloppy Joes recipe is used often and tastes so good! I do add peppers to the mix when I have them, but it’s not essential to the recipe. We need to double the recipe (I could easily triple it now, with older kids).
The original recipe from an old cookbook included a LOT of ketchup, so I played around with ingredients to replace most of the ketchup with tomato paste and seasonings to make up for the flavor that it provides. Let me know how you like this version!
Crockpot Sloppy Joe’s
- 12 in ch skillet
- cutting board
- 1 lb Ground Beef 85/15 or 80/20 works well
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Sweet Pepper May omit if desired
- 1 clove Garlic minced fine
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Paste
- 1/3 Cup Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- In your skillet, cook onion and pepper until soft. Add garlic and heat through, careful not to burn garlic.
- Add ground beef and cook until no more pink remains. Break up beef as fine as possible as it cooks. Drain excess fat.
- Add browned beef and vegetable mixture to crockpot set on low.
- Add all other ingredients, stirring well.
- Cook on low for at least 4 hours-more is fine.
- 30 minutes before serving, check if mixture is not thick enough. If need be, crack the lid and allow to cook off some of the excess moisture.
Need the buns? You can make those too! Use my Stuffed Sandwich recipe and fill them with this deliciousness instead. Dust of the crockpot and make these tonight.