I love today’s recipe for a homemade cream soup mix. If you use your crockpot as I do, so many recipes require using a can of cream of mushroom or some other cream-based soup. There is nothing wrong with using them, but what if you don’t have any in the pantry? This recipe is for you! Make up the mix ahead of time and keep it in the fridge or freezer until you need it. It’s simple to make and each recipe makes enough for 6 meals.
Don’t let the powdered dry milk scare you, it’s necessary to keep the cream sauce from breaking down during long cook times. It’s perfectly proportioned to be the velvety, creamy soup base you know, and even takes up less room than the 6 cans of soup on the shelf it replaces.
Do you struggle with making cheese sauce? This is how you can make it just right, every time. Add a cup of your favorite shredded or cubed cheese and stir until melted.
We use this for mac n cheese, to cover ham and cheese casserole, and even make my Gourmet Potatoes even easier; it makes a fantastic mock hollandaise sauce for your next homemade eggs Benedict. It’s a pantry staple that you will love having for crockpot recipes, casseroles, and any time you need a rich, creamy ingredient for your recipes. It truly is the perfect homemade cream soup mix for any recipe you need a can of cream soup in.
Finally, Use this cream soup mix as the base for your chowder. It’s easy to saute a little vegetable, add leftover meat and then pour in a double portion of it to have an almost instant dinner. Here is a recipe for Cheeseburger Soup where this would work perfectly.
Homemade Cream Soup Mix
- Mixing bowl
- Pastry cutter or fork
- Airtight container for storage
- 1 1/3 Cup Nonfat Milk Powder
- 3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- Combine dry milk powder, flour, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs
- Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- To Use: In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup Cream Sauce Mix with 1 cup water. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until thickened. For Cheese sauce, add 1 cup shredded cheese to thickened sauce and stir until melted.