It’s so easy to make your own cranberry-orange jelly and the flavor is superior to the can. Now, full disclosure, I love canned cranberry jelly. I use it for cooking and slice for sandwiches too. But it’s pretty much cranberry jello, right? Yummy but no depth.
Homemade cranberry-orange jelly has notes of orange and cinnamon, ginger, clove, or whatever other spices you like to add.
I hope you like this one. Now that cranberries are “in season,” they are inexpensive and freeze perfectly. Throw a few extra bags in your freezer just to make this recipe anytime you want a tart, sweet condiment.
Homemade Cranberry Orange Jelly
- measuring cups
- fine mesh strainer if desired
- Stick Blender if desired
- 4 Cups Whole cranberries Fresh or frozen
- 2 Cups White Sugar
- 1 Cup Fresh orange juice Juice of 1 orange + enough water to = 1 Cup
- 1 Peel Peel from one orange – Chopped
- 1 Stick Cinnamon
- In a heavy saucepan, combine all ingredients
- Bring to a boil. Cranberries will burst and mixture will begin to coat your spoon.
- Strain mixture through fine mesh strainer to remove seeds, orange peel, and spices if desired. Alternately, remove cinnamon stick and use a stick blender to blend to your preferred consistency.
- Pour into serving dish and allow to cool until thickened
- *I prefer to use Clementines because of their super sweet, orange flavor.
If you need more help pulling together a homemade family Thanksgiving, come join the Facebook Group:
Try these Thanksgiving dishes: